Friday, May 23, 2008

WHAT'S WHAT?

Asalam aleykum my brothers and sisters.

I was watching this movie that just came out, with Katt Williams, Ice Cube and Tracy Morgan just to mention a few. Basically, Ice Cube has to try and stop his son from moving to another state with his baby mother since, apparently, ex-convicts can’t travel out of the state or something like that.

Anyway, it got me thinking. When do you say someone’s crossed the line? A man who robs a store to feed his starving family, and a man who robs the same store to enrich himself, in the eyes of the law, is there a right or a wrong?

A few years back, there was an article in the paper, where an elderly man was convicted for robbery with violence, for stealing his neighbours chicken. So you know, in Kenya such a sentence earns you the death penalty. Despite there not being any official killings since the 1982 coup.

Personally, I don’t think the judge morally should have passed that judgment. I believe he should have been judged based on intention and not act alone. We can’t view the world in black and white; there are a lot of grey areas.

Would you blame me for crawling into your house and stealing your money, if I had family to feed? What’s if I did it to enrich myself? Think about it…

Militant out.

No comments:

Post a Comment