Friday, October 3, 2008

Women & Women's Rights

“Now I ain’t trying to be the greatest/I used to hate hip-hop/Yup, because the women degraded/But Too Short made me laugh/Like a hypocrite I played it/A hypocrite I stated though I only recited half/Omitting the word bitch/Cursing I would never say it/I mean a dog couldn’t relate/To the bitch I dated/Forgive my favourite word for hers and hers alike/But I heard it from a song I heard and sort’a liked...”. Lupe Fiasco – Hurt Me Soul

Asalam aleykum, my brothers and sisters.

Well, I recently, I have been listening to a lot of arguments about women and women’s rights. As is the status quo, it’s fashionable to call women all sorts of names... My motto is that, you shouldn’t call a woman something you wouldn’t say to your own mother. Because, whoever you’re saying it to could be someone’s sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin...

But then again, I’m tired of women always playing the blame card. Every third woman you meet, will tell you the reason she wasn’t able to accomplish whatever, was because she’s a woman or because she was sexually harassed or whatever.

Note, I’m not belittling these allegations. I’m just saying, they aren’t always true. There may be just be situations which have been blown out of proportion. But then again, it may be true, because I actually know women who have experienced all sorts of discrimination.

What I’m trying to say is that women have been chasing empowerment for generations, but aren’t really doing anything about it. It’s one thing to complain about something, it’s another to actually do something about it.

Yeah, most men are chauvinist pigs, but come on. How long can you blame someone else for you not utilising your potential? What about all those women who have become very accomplished in men-dominated fields? From the first woman doctor, to the first woman member of parliament, they knew their disadvantages being female, but still came out on to.

So seriously, all this crap about being the weaker sex doesn’t have as much influence as it did back in the day. Funny thing is that, Uganda holds the record of the largest number of women MPs in Africa, and yet some other idiot banned mini skirts the other day.

Women today face the same discrimination as Blacks, Albinos, Dwarfs and any other group of people not recognised by the white world as ‘normal’. So quit whining and do something!

“Life’s a bitch, and the nigga pimping got it”. Lupe Fiasco.

Militant out.

2 comments:

  1. You know Kd* gat something to say about women's right! my area of expertise!. The apple doesnt fall far from the tree, most of these women that like to play victim have probably seen their mothers or female figures do so...and the ill treatment they have gotten from the other sex...
    Women that have made it like Condi,maathai or some random CEO have passed thru alot and some of them share it to empower others and showing them they too can succumb and get where they want to if they push harded in this male dominated world.
    There is still a disparity as far as income is concerned. Its a known fact men earn more that women for the same job.
    If a nigga still goes around callin women such names(especially after being denied some ass) need to be castrated with a blunt knife!!...i would volunteer to do it myself....shiat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust you KD* to be advocating for castration...!

    ReplyDelete