Friday, July 11, 2008

The Inverse Crab Effect

Asalam aleykum, my brother and sisters.

I guess most of you have been paying attention to recent events. Apparently, our Finance Minister, Mr. Amos Kimunya, is under investigations for corruptly disposing of the Grand Regency Hotel.

Now, I was avoiding this issue because I don’t have all the facts, but, I will say this, this is the best situation to explain the inverse crab effect. This is when one person gets caught doing something, then starts dragging other people trying to save his/her own ass.

Now when Mr. Kimunya got caught with his pants down trying to make a quick buck, he started implicating other politicians, such as the Prime Minister, Mr. Raila Odinga, the Attorney General, Mr. Amos Wako and the whistle blower himself, Lands Minister James Orengo.

According to him, the named above were in full knowledge and agreement of the sale of the hotel, and therefore he did not do anything wrong, or rather if the deal was bad, it is not his fault.

In their defence, the implicated say they had nothing to do with the corrupt deal. A defence which the Prime Minister has now changed to be that he did not have enough information about the deal and had then forwarded it to the Kenya Anti Corruption Commission (KACC) chairman, Aaron Ringera.

Now is it just me, or is everyone suddenly flipping their stories? To make matters worse, the Prime Minister’s own brother is the Assistant Finance Minister. Personally, I don’t know how these little corrupt deals occur but, I think it would be hard for a whole Assistant Minister to claim not having any knowledge about it...
But then again, I was speaking to my lawyer pal, and he argues that the Finance
Minister did nothing wrong. The Government did not own the hotel, but were holding it as collateral against a loan that a Pan African Bank had borrowed but could not pay for. Therefore, the Government was justified for selling it at whatever price as long as they recovered the principal of the loan.

This whole story has become too complicated for me to follow. All I know is that these jackasses for politicians we have are only riding the Finance Minister’s ass because in this year’s budget, he introduced taxes on all politicians' salaries.
He would have had the backing of the rest of the ordinary citizens, but in addition to new taxes, he also increased the taxes on all alcohols. Personally, that’s enough reason for me to want him fired... I’m just saying...

Militant out.

2 comments: